Albums

Here's all my pics on facebook for those of you who don't have an account, you can still see them!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tsunami/Chinese Lantern Festival


I know a bunch of family members were concerned about the tsunami coming from the earthquake in Chile, but it ended up not being a big deal at all. Auckland is EXTREMELY hilly, which I am actually starting to get used to, so we had a meeting and they told us not to worry, but to stay off the beaches. I think some northern parts in the Bay of Islands had to evacuate, but I haven't heard of any extreme damage, waves ended up being small. But, it still is crazy to think that a tsunami hit parts of New Zealand!

Tonight was the Chinese Lantern Festival in Albert Park (GORGEOUS) and it was completely packed with people, Asian foods, and lanterns of all shapes and sizes. Pictures will be emerging soon, but it really was a fun event to go to! We bought little lanterns we got to light and carry around, and some bamboo. ALSO a woman was interviewing people and she interviewed us about why we were in Auckland and what we liked about New Zealand!!! If I don't look completely ridiculous in the video from the website maybe I will share that with everyone! I volunteered to go first so I got a little flustered, but pretty exciting still! The night ended with fireworks, a great way to finish our two week "vacation" since classes start tomorrow! but not for me til tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment